Sunday, May 14, 2006

Armed Forces Week

Today (May 14) kicks off the traditional Armed Forces Week, saluting those who have served in all branches of the military. As my small *salute* to the military, I thought I'd give it a Hollywood slant.

Picked up an interesting book recently titled Stars in Blue: Movie Actors in America's Sea Service by Wise & Rehill. It's a very interesting read, packed with short stories on stars that have served in the Navy. Great for us with short attention spans. Apparently there's a whole series of these books for each branch of the military.

So, each day this week I'm going to pick out a blurb on Captain Henry Montgomery Jr. (rank he retired at) and various other actors. This should be interesting!

Kicking things off is a photo of Lieutenant Commander Montgomery. It's a bit hard to distinguish real photos of Bob in the Navy from those from They Were Expendable, but if you can peg the rank down, you can kind of get it (he was a Lieutenant in TWE). There's going to be a period where rank & movie match. Put it this way, if the photo looks overly dramatic, it's for the movie.

Bob became LCDR in March 1943 while in the Pacific.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read this book too. It is indeed a great read.

There's a picture I have of Bob in military gear, but for some reason I think it might be from Hell Below. Maybe I'll post it over at NMF.