Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spangler Arlington Brugh ... rrrfff!!


Yes, there were other MGM male stars besides our Bob.  There was even another Robert who was a gorgeous young man.  Ahhh ... Mr. Taylor.  When I first heard of a movie titled The Gorgeous Hussy, I did not know if it referred to Bob's or Joan's role.  Then I looked up the word Hussy ... yeah, definitely Joan. 

The Gorgeous Hussy (1936)

Two years later, Robert has begun the change from gorgeous to extremely handsome. 

                                  The Crowd Roars (1938)

Robert has been on my mind of late, having finally thrown myself into reading "A Life of Barbara Stanwyck" by Victoria Wilson.  Great book, really, but HEAVY!  1,044 pages, including almost 200 pages of notes, appendixes, and what have you.  Not your usual Hollywood biography wherein the main source is the author's imagination.  

4 comments:

3rdplanet said...

I got Victoria Wilson's book last week and can't wait to dig into it. It reminds me a lot of James Curtis' bio of Spencer Tracy, also a well researched book with sources and appendixes... Writing a book like that is the best tribute one can pay to a star. Enjoy the read!

Kathy said...

I'm about 150 pages into it and loving it. Does a fantastic job of describing the milieu of the 1920s/1930s, in particular the motion picture industry. I'll move Tracy's bio up a couple notches on my "I'd-really-like-to-read-this" list.

Merm Lacey said...

do you have that full picture from "The Crowd Roars"? For some reason I am obsessed with all thing Taylor and O'Sullivan

Merm Lacey said...

Do you have that full picture of RT from "The Crowd Roars"? It looks cute with Maureen in the corner