Yes, there were a lot of birthdays in August that I missed. My apologies to a bunch of great performers. So, let's get going, starting with Ms. Norma Shearer. She'd appreciate being number one on my list. It took me a while to appreciate her and her position in the movies. I think of her as being tough and demanding, but so were most all the stars of that era. It was - and I'm sure still is - a very tough business.
Norma was born in Montreal, Canada on August 10, 1902. To me, one of the niftiest things about her is that she retired from the movies in 1942, married a ski instructor 11 years her junior, and led a very quiet life from then on. Good move, Ms. Shearer.
Oh, and Live, Love and Learn (1937) is available for streaming on TCM until September 16th.

No comments:
Post a Comment