Thursday, March 19, 2020

Who Was That Handsome Man With The Whip?

I came across this photo a while ago.  It is a re-issue print from the original negative made in 2003 for Public TV.  The line on the bottom of the image tells you about the negative, this one originally made in June of 1929.  A lovely photo with a great subject.  Let's see ... there's Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. on the far left.  Just 19 and already an established star in silents.  Next to him is Jack Conway, a prolific director at MGM, who directed four of Montgomery's pictures (Untamed, 1929; The Easiest Way, 1931; But the Flesh is Weak, 1932; and Hell Below, 1933). 


Next is Joan Crawford, of course.  She looks rather natural with a whip in hand.  Then comes the young man I could not identify for sure.  He looks like William Haines, and he and Joan were good buds, but why would he be showing them whips he just happened to be carrying around.  I could not identify a movie the four were all in.  Anyway, time passed, I'd forgotten the photo, until I ran across another photo showing the familiar set and whips, as well as the distinctive collar of Joan's blouse. Voila!  The movie is Our Modern Maidens (1929), directed by Jack Conway and starring Joan, Doug and Rod La Rocque (not Haines).

Movies, photography and social history of the first half of the 20th century....all my favs combined in one photo.  Just makes my day.  And I have a new movie line to add to my favorites.  The movie is a silent so this is a card that reads, "There is something in my pocket.  Dig in for it."  Definitely a pre-code, pre-MeTooMovement line for young Mr. Fairbanks.  

No comments: