Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Smart and Sassy, Yes. Too Good for Just "Oomph".

 Ann Sheridan was born February 21, 1915, in Denton, TX (just north of Dallas).  At 18 she won a beauty contest which got her a screen test at Paramount.  Warner Bros. picked up her contract shortly after and developed her into a leading lady who could handle a wide range of roles.  I preferred her in comedies, especially The Man Who Came to Dinner (1941), George Washington Slept Here (1942), and I Was a Male War Bride (1949).  


George Hurrell worked at Warner Bros. for a short time in the early 1940s, which happened to be Ann's peak years.  I don't know for sure that the portrait above is one of his, but it does look like it.  Now I know for sure the one below is a Hurrell.  I wonder if it was Ann or Hurrell who came up with the idea of the puddy cat ... 


Whatever, great photographs.  I like the way the color photograph below reminds us that Ms. Sheridan was a redhead.  


Ann died January 21, 1967, of cancer.  She was only 51.  Bummer.  

No comments: