Thursday, March 12, 2009

Road Trip, Part Two

Wrapping up Tracy's trip out east...

I did find Bob's first wife Elizabeth up in Patterson, NY, but no Buffy Harkness, his second wife, anywhere, and I did get to swing by the house, but no one was home. Bob had outwitted me again. I decided my next trip, I am going directly to the source armed with Sodium Pentothal.



The NY Rubber Co. where Henry Sr. worked is still in Beacon. This is also the area where Bob was born. It amazed me how many people in Beacon, didn't know what was in Beacon. I went to the police station to let them know I would be down there as I didn't have any interest in being hauled off in cuffs or becoming a permanent resident should something happen. I am hitting the town hall there too the next time to see what I can find.


I also was going to see Bob's first ladies, however, the Obama brigade kept me out of Washington/Arlington [note: this was during the inauguration], so Constance Bennett will have to wait until fall. For some reason Ferncliff was closed when I got there, and I could just hear Joan laughing from behind the fence. I went to three different gates and I am sure I heard laughter at each one. But I went across the street and paid a visit to Anne Bancroft and then down the road to see Helen Hayes. Glenda Farrell was wonderfully located at West Point, where my room was, but finding a white stone in white snow wasn't easy either.





I stopped by the nursing home where Van Johnson resided but, well... the people there must really hate their jobs because they were pretty rude. I simply asked if they could tell me where he is buried so I can put down some flowers and they said, "He isn't." And gave me a really stupid look. The story I got was that there was no next of kin, just someone who was handling the estate and he is at some funeral home. After going there I told my husband don't ever put me in a nursing home. And we need to update our wills.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly woman, I thought you were going to make a synopsis. LOL Geez, it makes me want to get back on the road. I still swear I heard Joan laughing when I couldn't get in. It was absolutely the only place I could not get into. Thanks for taking me back down memory lane. I can't wait for the next one.

Carrie said...

Synopsis? Naw, not me. I'd end up cutting out something important!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, awesome road trip, minus the Van Johnson bit. Seriously, haven't they heard of fans? Sheesh!

But overall, quite awesome pictures - wow, I so would like to do a road trip like that - thanks for sharing the neat information you found :D I'm impressed that the NY Rubber Co is still there :D

ashdotdave said...

Just so you know, Buffy Montgomery died February 22, 2003. she was 93. The farm was subsequently sold.

Carrie said...

Dotdave: Thanks for the information - I didn't know that