Monday, February 05, 2007

Wings in the Dark

I am such a sucker for anything with wings on it - or should I say in it?

Wings in the Dark was just issued on DVD late last year as part of the Cary Grant Screen Legend Collection. I bought the set simply because I enjoy early Cary Grant work (not because of the wings).

Wings is an OK movie, nothing super special. Cary Grant is a pilot working on instrumentation to help pilots fly "blindly" in bad weather. Ironically, he goes blind in an accident and puts his flying knowledge toward developing instruments that will even help a blind man fly. Yes, you heard me right, a blind man fly (and he does). Enter Myrna Loy as pseudo Amelia Earhart, love interest, and cheerleader to Grant's research.

IMHO, the stars of the film are the seeing eye dog, Lightning, and his plane (which I'm at a loss for the type/manufacturer). And watch for a very young Dean Jagger - I recognized the voice, but not the face at first. I'll admit, it's fun (and a rare treat) to see Cary & Myrna in the same movie together.

Oh, one last thing - a useless observation. There's a scene in the film where Cary is living in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, blind, with a seeing eye dog. I couldn't help but think of the scene from Saboteur with the blind man living in a cabin in the middle of nowhere with his seeing eye dog too.

No comments: