Thursday, August 17, 2017

Garbo, Buster and a Three Decker

I just love the fan magazines of the early 1930s.  Photoplay Magazine was one, if not the best of its kind in the 1930s.  Richly done, great photos of the stars and, appropriately, on the expensive side for collectors.  In Britain, there were two highly successful magazines which covered U.S. movies, as well as their own.  I'm guessing Picturergoer was No. 1, with Picture Show not far behind.  Bob made the cover of both several times, and I snarf them up whenever they show up for sale. 


And, whereas I may purchase a magazine for its cover or a lead story, it is always fun to run across any small surprises inside.  Below is a photo of the young Mr. Montgomery --- note the full head of wavy hair! --- and a dog named Buster, perhaps MGM's answer to Rin Tin Tin.  Bob appears to be finding Buster a more enjoyable co-worker than Garbo...


And found in an article on the favorite sandwiches of the stars:

I wish they had provided the kind of bread he liked, which dressing he used.  I mean, there are so many unknown things about Bob we will never know, and now there are even more.  Sigh. 

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Love the picture, being a dog lover myself. I also loved all the shots of Bob holding the cat from "They Were Expendable" between takes. Cagney always pondered how his beloved friend could be such an animal lover and still hunt. They both loved their animals.

Kathy said...

I have been trying for some time to write a short paragraph or two on how I think Mr. Montgomery, a man of his time, not ours, viewed animals. Just too much guessing required on my part, not fair to Mr. Montgomery or anyone spending their time reading my comment!! I will just say, Mr. Montgomery was humane in his treatment of animals.

Debbie said...

I know from reading Elizabeth Montgomery's autobiography that the Montgomery's had a lot of pets. I only brought up Cagney's thought because I remembered reading that he wrote a poem about the subject. (I don't know if most people know Cagney wrote poetry. Not what you would expect from him.) I wouldn't think of passing any judgement on Bob.

Kathy said...

A pheasant called in a distant thickset,
And lovingly my old friend said,
"I hear you. I hear you."
And he loved that bird, till he gunned him dead.

Mr. Cagney's poem, based on actual comment by Mr. Montgomery. I'm guessing it fairly reflects the conflicts in his approach to animals. Just one aspect of a rather complicated man.