Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Is it Real or is it Memorex? Part 1 of 3

Hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend.  I'm thinking everyone has had enough barbequed food to last until, oh, probably July 4th.  What I'm sure you have not had enough of is honoring the people who have served their country by remembering them.  What follows is a brief remembrance of sailor Montgomery, with a Hollywood bent, of course.



BOB AND CLARK - Lt. Commander, Robert Montgomery, U.S. Navy, and Captain Clark Gable, U.S. Army, January 15, 1944.  The uniforms are real, both men the real stuff, but two big-time Hollywood actors enlisting to serve their country?  From the viewpoint of 2012, how so surreal.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I love that picture! I believe it must have been at the christening of the ship in honor of Carole Lombard -- I just saw some video of that online for the first time a few months ago. Irene Dunne christened the ship. But you probably knew that! :)

Thanks for a great photo, looking forward to more!

Best wishes,
Laura

The Tiny Twins said...

what amazing pictures on your blog. I love it!

Kathy said...

Laura - Glad you liked the photo, sorry I did not make it larger ... have a lot to learn re this blog thing! Did you catch George Murphy behind Bob?

"Tiny Twins" - Speaking on behalf of Carrie who is responsible for 99.95% of the photos on the blog, thanks.