Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Star Has Died. Do You Know Where Your Collectibles Are?

I just read about the passing of Elizabeth Taylor. I'll have to admit, I've only seen one or two of her films, so I know very little of her work (recommendations welcomed!).

This post is less about Ms. Taylor and more about the feeding frenzy now going on Ebay. As of 3:45 PM today, 115 pages of goods. Yes, we have:
  • Tribute t-shirts
  • Barbie dolls
  • Autographs ranging from $10 to $2,500 - mostly fake I'm sure
  • Ice cream caps
  • Maltese dog ornaments
  • Birthday programs (did you ever have a program for your b-day?)
  • Beanie baby bears
I'm sure as the evening goes on, the number of items will only increase. The free market in action, that's for sure.

Kids, buyer beware. And Ms. Taylor, rest in peace.

Cleopatra

7 comments:

Desiree said...

Which two have you seen? My favorites are "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." Great performances.

Carrie said...

Heh, dare I say Conspirator and Lassie Come Home? :0)

la peregrina said...

I actually would not mind owning the Liz as Cleopatra doll. RIP, Elizabeth.

la peregrina said...

Oh, recommendations, like Desiree suggested, most definitely Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, and Giant, and A Place In The Sun. I can't recommend Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, not because she is not great in it, but because it is so darn depressing.

Desiree said...

Oooh, I thought for sure you'd seen at least one of the really famous ones that everyone has seen. haha :D

Ms.Zebra said...

I also think "Father of the Bride" and "Butterfield 8" (sympathy Oscar, my arse!) are worth seeing.

Carrie said...

Thanks everyone for the reccs!