Monday, October 06, 2008

Building Mr. Blanding's 73 Dream Homes

Whenever Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream Home is on TV, I record it - just one of those movies I guess. That's why when I caught an article in the paper about someone owning one of the "dream homes," I thought it was fascinating (where can I get one?):

The studio sent blueprints of the movie set house to contractors across the country, hoping to see 100 replicas of the house built. Eventually, 73 “dream homes” were built in places such as Fresno and Bakersfield, Calif.; Phoenix; Ottawa Hills, Ohio; and Portland, Ore.

The article is about the home in Fresno - read up!

While we're on the subject, and have you purchased your Wham Ham T-shirt?

2 comments:

la peregrina said...

Thanks for that article link, Carrie. I did not know about all those dream homes.

Growing up in Denver I of course knew there was a home built to look like the temple in the lost city of Shangri-La from the 1937 movie LOST HORIZONS. The house is near Alameda Ave. and Colorado Blvd.

Image from movie:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_UvIRR2k8x_w/RwGYwSgNbfI/AAAAAAAAAUk/fnkhkfogfKI/s1600-h/shangrila.jpg

Photo of house:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bizarchetype/BirthdayMidCenturyHouseTour#5125718975364427282

Funny, I always liked the Blandings NYC apartment better than their house.

Carrie said...

And thanks for the Lost Horizon photos - fascinating!

I think my house right now is smaller sq. footage wise than the Blandings' apartment (lol)