Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hitchcock/Truffaut on Smith

The If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger... blog offers the Hitchcock/Ttuffaut interviews on MP3. The latest installment gives some insight on Mr. & Mrs. Smith. It's some interesting listening I tackled on the airplane a few weeks back.

F.T. We were talking about your statement that "actors are cattle."

A.H. Oh yes. Well, what I was leading up to is that when I arrived on the set, the first day of shooting, Carole Lombard had had a corral built, with the three sections, and in each one there was a live young cow. Round the neck of each of them there was a white disk tied on with a ribbon, with three names: Carole Lombard, Robert Montgomery, and the name of a third member of the cast, Gene Raymond.

I swear I've seen a photo of the cattle...but can't locate it. If you know of one, let me know!

No comments: