Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Random Thoughts

For you noir fans out there, a new book on Raymond Chandler is out titled The Long Embrace: Raymond Chandler and the Woman He Loved by Judith Freeman. Read a brief interview with the author. If you get the chance to read this one, do drop me a comment & let me know what you thought.

Another new book that may make it to the library list is Hollywood's Censor: Joseph L. Breen and the Production Code Administration. From TCM's review: "...Breen strove to protect innocent souls from the temptations beckoning from the motion picture screen." I guess I missed that boat.

The actor who played Alfred the janitor in the original Miracle on 34th Street, Alvin Greenmann recently played a part in a radio update to the story. When asked in an interview about watching the film these days, Alvin noted, "I really can't watch it anymore," he says with a laugh. "I mean, you know, that's asking a lot."

And a last minute gift idea for that special someone - an autographed photo of Karolyn Grimes. Karolyn played Zuzu in It's a Wonderful Life. Now that would be a conversation piece for your cube at work.

And I'll leave you on this totally useless note. PBS had a special on the other night about the rise and fall Rat Pack. Being a fan of old-school Vegas I took the bait & watched it. I have come to the conclusion that Frank Sinatra scares me.

No comments: