I really don't know much about Robert, so I started looking around. Instead of giving you some drawn out bio, here's some of the more interesting points I found, compliments of Wikipedia:
- He was an early and regular contributor to the New Yorker Magazine, Life magazine and a humor columnist for the Hearst Corporation Newspapers.
- The Robert Benchley Society gives an annual humor award in Benchley's honor.
- He's in Hitchcock's Foreign Correspondent (aha, another familiar face)
- One of Benchley's specialties in film was the "embarrassing speech" -- nervous, stammering, clearing his throat, making no sense whatsoever.
- He is the father of author Nathaniel Benchley author of The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming, and grandfather of Jaws writer Peter Benchley.
- Spotted these on IMDB - The Sex Life of a Polyp and The Romance of Digestion