Monday, May 01, 2006

Hello, Mr. Jordan, Mr. Farnsworth, Mr. Murdoch...

Finally watched Here Comes Mr. Jordan for the first time. I ended up watching it off my PC since the DVD had a non-US region code on it - I'll crack it one of these days. As mentioned before, the DVD was a bootleg off of VHS. I really can't complain - the quality was good & there were no commercials.

I guess my first impression of the movie was how different it is from typical 1940s flicks. It has a different spirit about it (literally). Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the storyline, or the actors....I'll figure it out. Anyhow, I can see how it was nominated (and won) the Oscars it did.

James Gleason was a joy to watch - almost better than Edward Everett Horton, who had a smaller part than I would have thought. Makes me want to go watch Arsenic & Old Lace again...

I loved the movie. I hate to admit it, but I felt a little teary-eyed at the end. What's the word I want to use...heartwarming?

And no, I have no interest in watching the remakes of this story!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry....I get teary-eyed too.;)

And Warren Beatty should be pelted with heavy stones for that Heaven Can Wait mess. I've never seen it, nor do I ever intend to. I wonder what Bob thought of it though.

Anonymous said...

P.S.
You should check out Bob's Myspace again. A few more comments have been added since last you looked...and they're rather amusing.;p

Anonymous said...

i actually like all the versions of this movie! even the chris rock one. it shows you how adaptable the story is for any era.

(i just lost a whole bunch of cool points, huh? hah.)

Anonymous said...

I had no clue there was a Chris Rock version....I still think Quantum Leap stole the idea for their TV show

Anonymous said...

yeah, it's called down to earth. it's probably not worth a rental if you're not interested, though.

hey, they did! just threw in some science and more sets.